Thursday, March 8, 2012

Weston's going to Duke and here's why


I wanted to start this blog to document our family's experience at Duke and to have something for Weston to look back on when he is older. I also wanted to keep our friends and family up to date with everything that happens while we are there. I'm sure there will be people that read this blog who have no idea what's going on so let me catch everyone up to speed....

When Weston was  about 4 months old, JD began to notice that he didn't use his left arm. He kept it down to his side most of the time, even when he was in his excersaucer and using his right arm to play. He didn't reach for things with his left hand and when we dangled something at his left side, he would reach across his body with his right arm to get it. We asked our pediatrician about it at his 6 month appointment and he very non-chalantly said we should keep an eye on it, that he could have possibly had a ministroke in-utero, but that it was probably just a developmental delay and his left arm would eventually catch up with his right. I immediately thought about my college roommate who had a ministroke when we were living together....no big deal, she was just a little dizzy for a few days and all was fine. The doctor made me feel like this was worse case scenario so I left that appointment relatively unalarmed.





At his 9-month appointment, things changed a little. JD and I were happy to report that Weston's use of his left side was improving although he still didn't have the same strength and coordination as he did in his right side and he was still unable to crawl. This time Dr. Karam (the pediatrician) said he now thought this was due to a ministroke....this was the second time he has used the term "mini". He told us Weston needed an MRI which he suspected would show a small "blip" on his brain. He said we would do the MRI just to confirm the "blip" but regardless of the results, Weston needed physical and occupational therapy and would be just fine.

Well this appointment happened to fall 4 days before we moved from Dallas back to Lexington where we would be living with my parents until we found a home in Louisville. We decided to wait to do the MRI until we were settled and Weston was a little older and could better tolerate the anesthesia. We started him in therapy right away when we moved to Lexington and both of his therapists suspected an in-utero stroke as well. However, they weren't using that word "mini" which I had been hanging on to for 5 months.

Fast forward a few months to November. Weston was almost 14 months old. He wasn't walking and he never crawled. He was able to move around by scooting on his bottom and using just his right side to pull himself along. We were concerned but his therapists were impressed with his progress and it seemed he was meeting his milestones, they were just delayed. We were finally settled in Louisville. We still hadn't done the MRI and we had our first appointment with a pediatric neurologist, Dr. Puri. He spent a few minutes with Weston and said "Here is what is going on here. What your son has is called hemiplegic cerebral palsy due to an in-utero stroke" My heart was pounding. All I could take in were the words "cerebral palsy." I didn't know anything about it, I just knew it wasn't good. When I heard those words I though of a severely disabled person. I did not think of my son. What happened to the ministroke blip? Cerebral palsy didn't sound like it was going away with a little therapy. It sounded terrible. I couldn't stand the thought of this diagnosis for my perfect little boy that I want to protect from the slightest discomfort. Dr. Puri started scribbling a brain on a piece of paper and showing us the area of Weston's brain he suspected was damaged and how much was damaged. He rattled off a list of what this could affect: his cognition, attention span, motor capabilities, speech. Then he said "This is going to be a big deal in Weston's life."  JD and I were devastated. A BIG DEAL. Since he was 6 months old, that word "mini" had me convinced that it was NO big deal. Now it was a huge deal and my baby had cerebral palsy. A word I still can't stand to even say out loud. I'll refer to it as "cp" from here on out. We did the MRI which confirmed this was no ministroke. My munchkin had a stroke. It wasn't massive, but it wasn't mini.

For the first time since the blip was ever mentioned JD and I broke down. We were beyond angry. I was going crazy wondering what I did wrong in my pregnancy to cause this. I was furious that the odds of this happening were 1 in 100,000 and it happened to my child. I was furious that I made it through my entire pregnancy completely fine until the final week when Dr. Puri suspected something went wrong. I was pissed that I had prayed every night since the blip was mentioned for nothing to be wrong with my baby and now I knew something was very wrong. For two days I didn't answer my phone. I told my parents about the appointment but that was it. I was too upset to talk to anyone. Then my sister called and thank God I answered.

She said she knew I didn't want to talk about it, but that she just had one thing to quickly tell me. She said, "I just think God had this little baby that he knew would need a little extra help and he chose you to be his mother." And right then and there everything changed.

How blessed am I that this is my son?! God chose JD and I for him because he trusts us to take the extra care he needs and knows we will do EVERYTHING WE CAN FOR THIS CHILD. I would have this no other way. This is my baby, I proudly take him just as he is. He is happy and he is loved. Done with the pity party. Thank you Katie, Thank you Jesus, moving on.......

Now, before Weston was born, JD and I decided to bank his cord blood. We spoke with a OBGYN friend who recommended we bank it if we could afford it. He said nobody was really using it now but that it showed promise for the future. Twenty years from now if Weston were to be in an accident they could possibly use his cord blood to save his life. He said it was like an insurance policy with no guarantees. We discussed it and decided that even though it was insanely expensive, we would feel horrible if something were to happen where we could have used it and didn't save it. So when Weston was born, they collected the blood, sent it off to Arizona to store it and we forgot about it.

Then one day, when JD was in surgery, he was telling the surgeon, Dr. Kevin Harreld,  about Weston's diagnosis. Dr. Harreld asked if we had banked his cord blood and said "Well haven't you seen the research on cord blood and kids with cp?"

No! We hadn't seen it, but we immediately started googling it and found miraculous stories about kids who had strokes and were in much worse shape than Weston. There were kids who had complete paralysis on one side that had there cord blood infused back into their bodies through an IV and a few days later were walking, running, jumping, talking. MIRACULOUS stories! The theory is that the stem cells in a baby's cord blood can be infused and then travel to the area that is damaged and start repairing it. Pretty amazing stuff. I was coming out of my skin. I wanted to know how to get this done and I wanted it done yesterday.

After lots of phone calls and research, we found a study being conducted at Duke University by Dr. Joanne Kurtzberg that studies the effects of cord blood on children with cp. As you can imagine, Duke is on the forefront of this cutting edge research. Cord blood infusions are not common practice and are still in the clinical trial phase. The only way to get an infusion is to participate in a clinical trial. For the trial, Weston will go to Duke once a year for 3 years.  For his first visit, he will get an infusion, however, we won't know if he is getting his cord blood or a placebo. He will go for his second visit one year later and he will get another infusion of whatever he didn't get the first time. At his third visit, they will reveal to us when he received his cord blood. So basically, he gets infused and we wait for a miracle. There is a chance his life will change. There is a chance that everything will stay the same. But there is no chance of us having any regrets that we didn't do everything possible to help Weston. He is doing so well as he is now....walking, dancing, playing basketball and trying his best to talk! If he shows no miraculous improvement, he will be just fine. Given his persistent personality, I'm positive he will overcome huge obstacles. I have peace in knowing that no matter what happens, God has a plan for Weston and I can relax in knowing everything will be ok. I am just so happy to have the ability to do this for him.

If you have taken the time to read this, thank you.  I hope you'll take another moment to say a prayer for Weston. He gets the infusion on Tuesday, March 13th and it is going to be a BIG DEAL. I will keep you posted!





11 comments:

  1. So proud of you for starting the blog! You guys are fantastic parents and we love all three of you do much. Sending some prayers up for a remarkable journey...whatever that journey may be. Give him some love specifically from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jenny...all I can say is God is AMAZING!! Weston most certainly has a wonderful plan in life that God has already mapped out. Why do you think you saved his cord blood?? I wanted to do the same with Shaylen but just didn't. Still wish I would've. Your story brought me to tears though. I couldn't imagine hearing that news. I know you are a wonderful person though & I'm sure you are a great mother (as well as Katie). God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. Definetly will be praying for you & your family & ask my church to pray as well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be thinking of you and your beautiful family. So inspirational that you saved his cord blood, must have been fate! Best of luck for little Weston on Tuesday, I'm sure he will be brave like his mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never forget the text you sent me while I was in the hospital- sharing Katie's words of wisdom! LOVE your blog! Certainly believe in the power of prayer and will be praying for you all nightly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Monkee in Buffalo is thinking of your family. You are so strong, and so brave. YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautifully written. When JD called with the news of Weston, I told him that God chose you guys to raise Weston because you could and would take the best care of him and that he (God) has reasons that we cannot know. I pray for you, JD and Weston every day. This is the start of a new chapter in your lives. One of many when raising children. You are such a special person and an amazing Mom. We love you guys. Keep us posted when you can. I just know things are going to be fine one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny, My name is Annie. Your blog really hit home for me. Very well written. 3 years I would have written every word. My son Ryan had a stroke in utero - left CP. We are in the Duke study and heading out for year 2 next month. It has been an incredible experience for us - stressful but incredible. Ryan is doing amazing - we are very blessed. He has his first Tball game tonight - unbelievable. Anyway, if you ever have questions or just want someone to talk to - I am happy to. One of the hardest things for me in the beginning was figuring out our resources to come up with the right plan for Ryan. All the best to your family! Annie (annieheath02@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. JD, Jenny and Weston you are in my thoughts and prayers. I had no idea and i'm so sorry to hear this but thank you for sharing your story. Duke is an amazing hospital with incredible doctors and a wonderful staff and i know that they will do everything in their power to heal Weston and make your family as comfortable as possible. God does have a plan even though it is not apparent right now. And i know this is going to be tough but be patient and open your eyes to the many miracles that will happen along the journey. I love you guys!
    Britney Gavenonis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got this link from Steve and Cindy Buck. My daughter, Morgan Overton, was born with ptosis in 1987. It is only looking back on that minor problem that I have the 50 year old maturity to realize that God was with us the entire time.

    When we took her home from the hospital, her pediatrician said her eyelid was simply swollen and we would see improvement in her ability to open it in a week to ten days. On her two week appointment, the doctor said it was not going to get better and sent us to an ophthalmologist. I remember feeling betrayed because the story changed so quickly. I was afraid because after doing much research, I knew more about Ptosis than the pediatrician.
    I think pediatricians are trained to be as optimistic as possible the first couple of weeks, because many concerns are resolved without alarming new parents.
    So many what ifs raced through my brain, sometimes that symptom is related to other disorders. I worried about her eyesight. Most of all, I convinced myself it was my fault. I obsessed over it.


    Morgan has had three surgeries to correct the droopy eyelid. At three, when they went in, they found out that the ptosis was due to her having no "opener " muscles in that lid. It wasn't 't until her middle school surgery that the lid was corrected very well. We don't see it, now, upon meeting her, new people notice probably, but Morgan has confidence, she's bright, studies hard, and is in PA school and getting married in June.

    Our three kids are in their 20's. In 2008,we began looking into adopting from China. We adopted a six yr old Chinese girl tha had been adopted by another family in Florida. They could not deal with behavioral issues that have now been resolved. She is bright, loves school, and shows concern of other far beyond a 9 yr old capacity.


    She has a prosthetic below her knee. On the way to Fl. I thought, what have we done? What if we can't deal with her physical issues and her emotional needs as she grows up. We didn't let her know of course, but we went through a mourning period of why did this happen to our baby and my husband said he would give up his one leg for her if he could. As we got to know Tori, we realized just how resilient she is. And how much she was such a part of our family and we can't imagine not having her with us. Just as you said, God chose us because, Tori needed us.

    Without having gone through the experience with Morgan and trusting God, I don't think we would have been ready to go get our Tori. She has caused us to look at the world in a new way.


    The science for your son is so promising! You will reach many parents struggling with issues through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted you to know that your friend Laura asked our Sunday school class in Lexington to be praying for the three of you. I'll be doing that. Weston is so blessed to have you as parents. I know he is in God's loving hands, and that God will keep his promise that all things will work together for good for those who love him. Hugs, Ev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, Weston, and JD: Been praying today. Lindsey Mattingly

    ReplyDelete